Monday, June 23, 2008

Trumans Big Love: Ride it like you stole it, just dont roll it!

Left Sat night for KC with the Mesa Crew. Pizza and beer at Shakespears in COMO was the pre race carb load. We got a chance to sleep in, and dial the pre race ritual. Eating early, coffee, and a pre-ride of the course. The course had a flat grass start, that closed into a singletrack hole shot on a right facing switch back going up hill. This was a short moderate hill, nothing to bad. The hill dumped you into a wide open double track section, almost 1 mile long. This section was blazing fast. There was a technical hill that was loose at the bottom, and rocky at the top. The single track to follow was rocky, technical, and awesome overall. That dumped out into a field, and another rooty, twisty section. The second field was clutch, it allowed you to really flip the after burners on. The last section of single track was pure ecstasy. mostly down hill, with flowy corners and dips. Truly Nice.

We lined up at the line, my stomach was hurting pretty bad from the nerves. I honestly thought I was going to have to drop my bibs right there. That went away when the horn blew. Christopher and I had a second row start, but since I was crossed up from the get go, I move up quickly to the front 3. I was 3rd into the woods, and sitting pretty on the double track. We had already pulled away some, and at the hill, I ran around the 2 guys in front of me. They were super fast on the flat stuff, but not so much on the technical stuff. Christopher caught me going into the woods after the first field. We were riding strong, and I was settling in to a good rhythm, looking forward to riding with my team mate at the front of the pack, going for the overall. Soon after, I heard a loud, unmistakable sound of a tire burping, and it was over for Christopher. That sucks, he had barley gotten a chance to open up his new ride. I kept riding hard for the next lap. It was hot, and the sweat was flowing. The second lap I rode hard, pretty much at the limit physically and mentally. I backed off on the beginning of my third lap, and took a cheer pack. WOW, now I am cruising. I really turned up the heat on the flat stuff, and rode the single track hard, but dead focused on not making a mistake. All I could hear for a while was my heavy breathing, but soon that faded away also. It was quiet till I crossed the line, and was greeted by the Team Segaul crew. Nice work Guys!!
I won the age group, and got 3rd overall in sport. The rest of the crew did really well also. STL really came for blood on this race, but at the end of the day its all about having a good time. We did exactly that. Good friends and good beer.

The new bike work well. I think it is made for that type of riding. I was impressed with the highspeed handeling of this machine, but was most suprised with the way this thing climbs. Any input fromt he pedals sends this thing flying forward. This weekend was an absolute blast, I have alot to be thankfull for.
No Pics, I think a new camera is in store. I dont know though, I could use a new bike.

2 comments:

Zach Brace said...

way to go bra!!

Boz said...

Good race. keep dialin' in the big wheel.