Monday, June 9, 2008

Rookie Bi-och

Raced at Landalh in KC this weekend. The weather is beginning to warm up, and that summer MTB feeling is in full force. The nice, humid Missouri air kept the trails moist for traction, a few wet corners, and the rocks snotty. The course was tight and twisty. A very fast rolling trail, with corners that you can carve at speed. The technical sections consisted of rocks, roots, and some slick mud. These were minimal. A preride of the course really helped dial the layout, and the sections to keep an eye on. Zach and I got two laps in on the race course, chatted with some locals, and drank some brew dogs. The first two rides on the new bike were SWEET!!! This thing is Fast, fast, fast. That is what kept going through my head as I raced on Sunday. I began my race as usual, big ringing, and going hard. I got out in front and pushed it super hard. I rode half a lap with Tom Albert, before he rolled away. Laps one and two went really well. The heart rate was above 90% max, around 94% at times. I was aware of this, but not letting it affect my judgment. I was finding some nice recovery in the 88% max range. As far as pushing your self right to the edge, this felt good. On the third lap, I was drinking, when a "head up my ass" moment had me tweek my front tire as I avoided a tree. I pulled the bead off of the rim, and lost about half the air in the tire. I figured I could roll, and I did for about 10 min. This was slow, the steering was sloppy, and my mind was scattered. I had no CO2, because I am a rok, so I had to borrow air and a head. Also since I am a ROK, and my HR was rocketing, I wasted 10 min fumbling with trying to air up my tire. I had to borrow 4 cartridges before I got it to work. I owe my finish to the good will of other on the trail. During this time I saw Big ring zach brace roll by in a fist fight with someone, right on his wheel. He went on the clinch the sport race, age group and overall!! Nice work BRA!! I also had time to watch everyone in my age group roll by. SHIT!! That's right, it was me yelling that in the woods if you were wondering. I aired up and began pedaling, pissed at myself for not being prepared. I calmed down when I caught up to a fella from Omaha in the sport race. He was out there just having a blast, and it really made me re-evaluate my attitude. OK, Head out of my ass, and having fun again. I crossed the field, and into the last half of the course. This was the goods. Long sweeping corners, short dips, and speed all around. I crossed the line, happy to not be walking my bike. The beer was flowing like wine at the finish, but I had food on my mind. Some one mentioned BBQ, and it was on. Zach and I loaded up the truck, with a quick lesson on proper rigging TECH, and followed Tom, Wes, and Dave to Biffels. 1/2 pound of pork on a bun, some dark lager, crispy legs, and some steller single track my friend. Life just don't get much better.

3 comments:

TeamSeagal said...

Hey man, good to meet you at the race, finally! We would have followed you to the BBQ place, but we weren't really all that hungry for a while, and wanted to get back. Sucks about the tire!

-C. Ryback

Living a Lie said...

Thanks, The BBQ was the tech of the day.

Zach Brace said...

nice little road trip my friend....i had fun. congrats on your smokin new ride!