Monday, June 2, 2008

Matson Hill Race

Sunday was great weather, but the trails were a slop fest. Matson Hill is a great trail, but it is a trail that I am unfamiler with. I have only ridden it one other time before the race, and the conditions were similar. I took the QBP rep out ther the day ofter the 2007 Greensfelder race to show him some easter Mo. riding at Matson and klondike.

Zach B. and I pre rode the gravel hill and the first section of singletrack, about .75 miles in from the trailhead. We had a pretty good idea of what lay ahead. THats fine I thought. I knew that warm up was crutial, and we timed it perfictly. We got back to the car in time for a gel and some water, then boom. I got out in front on the gravel, and started climbing. Zac H. got aroung me about 3/4 of the way up and motored on. I grabbed his wheel briefly, but popped off quickly. I worked to reel him in, but stayed seated. This was very ineffective, and he was out of sight when I hit the road. I wound up the spin on the pavement, Scott P. was behind me, with the pack further back. We dropped in the singletrack, and surfed down the hill. I caught up to Zac a the bottom, just in time for a wipeout. Scott got around me, and powered up to Zac. He was putting some good pressure on him, and I was all over the place trying to keep up with the both of them. The bottom part of the trail was crap. Wet roots and rocks galor. The short up hill section out of the bottoms was spin city. Truly draining the energy. In the middle of the course, the steep stuff comes in. What a kick in the sac that is. I was so red lined from that on each lap, I could barly decend the section that followed. There were two sections like this, steep, wet, and nearly impossible not to spin your tire. The most effective tech seems to be find the gear you want to climb in, and go a click down from that. it requires alot more power, but you dont run the risk of spinning out. These sections had me despretly seeking my climbing ring up front. Crazy I know, but I was locked in the pain box. I passed Scott on the final climb finishing the 1st lap. He rode a centruy the day before, and it was showing. Normally he has me running scared, or chasing madly. My second lap had me about 1 min back from the lead in 2nd position. Toward the middle of the third lap, Zach B. came up behind me. I was bitching pretty bad at that point, but he kept on encouraging me to move on. He passed me on the steep stuff, and cleaned that section to boot. Looking good Bro. All I could do at that point was look forward to that final climb and the last switch back. Zach was gone, and I was blown. Done deal. I picked up 3rd for my effort.

This was a truly brutal race. I think this trail has some awsome potential. I bet it rips pretty damn hard with it is dry. The amount of climbing makes for a difficult race, but overall I think it is a great race course.

2 comments:

Boz said...

That course is brutal when it's muddy. The recovery areas when it's dry are brief, but when it's muddy, there's nothing but suffer. Zak is coming on form and he loves that course. Going to be awesome watching you guys duke it out for the points. Keep hammering him. Another podium doesn't suck, either.

Living a Lie said...

Agreed. A day of racing is a good day no matter what.