Wednesday, July 9, 2008

DNF

Big disapointment on Sunday. The Dino Race in IN has been on my calander and my mind for two months now. I was looking forward to it, just like all MTB races. I got to ride up there and spend the weekend with some of the fastest dudes in the midwest. Dave tore up the expert race, Zach tore up the sport race, and I tore up the sidewall of my python rear tire. Wes told me that I would cut a sidewall on that tire, now I believe him. Zach B. won the highly covented (to me) overall sport race. That is his second win for the overall this year I believe. Davey B won the expert overall, his second in a row. Two very good performances on a demanding course. The course...? Demanding physically and technically from a bike handeling standpoint. There was some slop on the warm up lap, and some dought in my mind about how fast it would be. I almost missed my start because I was dicking around on the course, and forgot my watch was an hour behind. I rolled to the start, and started my pregame focus session. I was dialed. The horn went off, and so did I, third into the woods. The leader started to pull away, but the second was not keeping up. Second guy goes down, and I spin out to catch up. At a slop up hill by the bridge, the leader slips and I get around. We were about 4 min in at that point. I keep it toghether on the hills, passing the wave infront of me. Toward the end of the lap, I hear a hiss, what ever, no distractions now. I keep pushing, and soon enough I feel the soft back end creeping up. I knew I had time, and my HR was in check, so I calmly add some air and am on my way again. Problem solved....NOT!! Again, I add some air, this time checking and confirming a sidewall cut. BALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wait a bit to see if it will seal. People begin to pass, #2, zac B, #3, #4. I air up and roll through the starting line, begging for a tube. Its my fault I didnt have one, because I am a complte ROK. Some day I will get the hang of this MTB race thing. I aired up until the canistor ran out, which was enought to get me to the bridge. I ran back to the car to try and find a tube. There was one there, but the motivation was snowballing down hill at that point. I decided to throw in the towl. DEFEATED...OWNED...ROOKIE

I decided to make my self useful, and ring the cowbell for the Mesa crew and EP. Overall there is not much to be disappointed about, I have had good luck all year, and I know things like this happen. It will not change my overall drive to continue racing. MOVING ON.

1 comment:

Zak said...

do you not carry a seat bag? There are three essentials, tube, something to pump it up with, and chain breaker. That's it, you can run with one brake, one gear, but you need two tires. keep up the riding.