Thursday, May 22, 2008

I rode 30 miles on the road yesterday. The legs were feeling it big time. 1:45 but it felt like twice that. The grants trail was quite busy. I take that down to the union/green park intersection, and bang a U onto green park. I am not sure about the milage, but this section of road (greenpark/Musik) shells you with consequtive rollers. It is good for a training ride.

After that we celebrated my roomies birthday with a BBQ and brew dogs. Lots of fun, but I had to shut'er down around 11:00pm so I could get up today and MTB.

I awoke a 5am, hit the snooze, and finally rolled out of bed at 6. Rolling at C-wood by 6:30am. Nice. The trails were dry and hitting hard. Roller coaster felt good. While owning the Grotepeter decent, I heard a rumble. Probably nothing. It started raining while climbing the lone wolf. Awsome. No windows on the Jeep, and the back is rolled up. Got about 45 min of riding in, and had to call it quits. The trail was wet. I almost bailed to begin with. Lack of motivation, and I feel like crap today. But decided the hard road is the way to go. The days that you feel the worst, are the days you work the hardest. I guess you pay your money and enjoy the ride.







I am headed to NY tomarrow for three days of climbing in the Gunks. The area boasts 250-300 foot cliffs. The specific area we go to (Near Trapps) is about 1.5 miles long, and has a roof running the entire length. The roof is anywhere from 5 to 15 feet long. Pretty much every route has a roof of some type on it. the picture showes me on the area mega classic "high exposure" I have just pulled the lip in this shot, and am climbing up the pumpy section. The holds are good, but there is about 200 feet of air under your ass at this point. Pretty heady.

This is a historicly signigicant area on the east coast when it comes to climbing. Jack Durrance learned to climb here when he was a college student at Dartmoth in the 1930's. The glory days, when men were men, and they climbed with hemp ropes and boots. He cut his teeth in the gunks and then went west to test himself. First person to summit Devils tower. He also had the second ascent on the same rout to rescue a stuntman that successfully parchuted onto the tower, but could not get down. Jack also put up many enjoyable day climbs in the Tetons, most notably on Symmetry Spire. These climbs are still great test pieces for anyone seeking great truly exposed adventure. When we go to the Gunks, my dad and I thumb through the guide book seek out routs that have first ascents by Jack Durrance. They are good value for money, and provide a great pucker factor. stay tuned for a full report when I return.

No comments: