Monday, September 8, 2008

NORBA at Greensfelder

Some of the action...











This was my first race last year, so I figured I should cat up. The start was super fast, I was lucky to settle into good position. For the first lap I was behind TA and Furman. I made a pass on the start of the second lap, and was feeling strong. I dropped my chain on the short ramp, and lost a position as TA climbed by. I was trying hard to get back in the game, but wasn't able to swing it. Jim Krewet, and Fletcher were next to pass, and I knew the pace was slowing, steering was sloppy. I tried to hang on at the gravel road, as I caught the last glimpse of them up the hill. I was able to hold a good pace for about half the race. I turned in 4 good laps. The last 3 wore me down quick, and left me contemplating a DNF. I was reminded of the movie Heat. There was a scene where Robert De Niro told John Sizemore "If you cant handle the heat, then maybe you should walk away from the action." John replied "Nah...No you see for me..the heat is the action." That is where its at for me. Walking up to the face of uncertenty, adversity, and attrition, and hammering through. Never quitting.
I probably got going too fast, and had nothing left for the last 1.5 laps. I crashed going uphill, and jacked up my wrist good and right. This morning it is getting back to the normal feeling, but I was getting nervous about it. Finishing my first expert race felt like a real accomplishment. I am stoked to do more, and if 21 people keep showing up for the expert Norba races, Ill get what I want. Some real racing.


This was a good venue for a race. The loop was a little short, but it packs a punch. The creek crossing before steep climb is something you just have to launch. I mean how lucky can you get to have someone snap a pic of you jumping a creek? By the sixth lap, I could feel the climbing zapping my legs. My favorite part of this loop is the cornering. There are two wall rides, and several corners that you can carve at speed. I took some advice, and really tried to brake going into the corners, and then let the speed carry me through. That was working very well. Great race, great people, and the trail...the trail is FIRE. There is still some time left in the year to get some MTB racing in, and I am all for it!!

6 comments:

Skeet Skeet said...

Way to man up.

Davey B said...

i love reading your blog homey...

i should have brought a tube so i could have beat travis. i would have, but i quit. the gin and tonics still tasted swell though, so i knew i quit while i was ahead. save some for CX and keep the fire stoked- red hot.

we're going to take you to a special place. red hot.

db

Boz said...

Great pics. Love the creek crossing. Very pro looking. Great job jumping into the big leagues. CX season starts in 11 days!!!

TeamSeagal said...

Dude, don't sweat that CX shit just yet - Burnin's is the TRUE mtb finale, and you better be ready.

-C. Ryback

Zak said...

nice job, you looked good out there, i'll see you there next year.

Patriot said...

Congrats on a good race and the Cat up to a 1. I look forward to more battles. I hated missing greensfelder due to the back to school bug settling in on my family. See you at Burnin where I hope to have my legs back because I really want a buckle!

Matt Ochs from Cape Girardeau