Monday, September 22, 2008

Herman Cross Race

Cross is Back!!!

First cross race of the season has come and gone. What a great time that was. The course was shortened, but packed a punch. There was some smoking fast grass sections with zig-zags, and switch backs. Most could be carved at high speed, or pedaled through. There was a bog section to give you the winter feel of cross, but with out the coldness, or sport balm smell. The stairs were also there in a shortened fashion. I had a bad start, losing me about 20 positions before we started down the pavement hill. I tied too hard, too soon to regain, sending me into the red. I focused on staying smooth. I really wanted to keep the strokes smooth, and constant. If you can do that in the big ring, the speed comes along. I was able to keep some consistency toward the end, and really turn up the heat. On the last lap, I heard the bell, and saw the group of 5 ahead of me that I needed to pass to get in the money. They were grouped tight, and moving. I believe Jason Watkins was pulling the train. I was able to pull up to them, but ran out of course to pass. The stairs came, and I was not able to move around, but managed a 10th place finish. I am stoked for that, since it is the first race of the year. I have alot of time to build on those results. Should be a sweet season.

The new bike ran flawlessly. No complaints what so ever with the bike. The gearing up front is dialed for some smooth operating, and the fit is perfect. I have finally dialed in the Sram shifters. They took a few rides to get used to, but now I have mastered them. I am not sure about the bottle cage I put on. I like to drink in the race, got 4 chances to do so in this one, but it gets in the way when soldering.

We got to rock the new black CX kits. When I put it on and looked in the window of the car, the song This is why Im hot from Lil wayne ran through my head. They are pro. It was nice to enjoy the party atmosphere of the race, and see some friends.

Now I need to clean up and get ready for carbondale. I hope the grass is dry, so I can run the Grifo sx tires. Those things are true speed. The Grifo performed well at Hermann. I did not have any issues with grip, braking or spinning in the mud. I was really impressed with the handeling in the corners as they sofend up. I did unseat the rear, which rubbed up against the brake, and wore down the bead, but that was probably piolot error. Overall I felt good with my form and my fitness. A few more races should hone in both to a higher level.

2 comments:

Skeet Skeet said...

Those new kits where looking sweet. Nice ride.

Boz said...

You kicked off the season nicely with a top 10! That mud was intense with the 42T in the front and no ability to spin through it. It roasted me every lap, but fought through it. Looking forward to Carbondale. See you tomorrow.