Monday, October 6, 2008

Short Track

Got up on Sunday, and felt pretty good about my self. So I loaded up and headed to C-wood for some short track/dirt crit. I only did one other short track race over the summer, same course, but opposite direction. Fair consideration was given to using the cross bike for this, but at the end of the day, the creek crossing helped make up my mind. I scoped the creek on Friday night. The recent heavy rains had made it wider. There was a small muddy puddle as you dropped in, then a long gravel bar, with a deeper creek section. The trail leading out had been paritaly washed away, and was wet from everyone crossing in the same general area. It made for some great fun. The race was set for 45min and 2 laps. I gave it little thought as I lined up. I started second row, not getting in a big hurry. The start was side open and quickly funneled into narrow switchback sections just like cross racing. We get on the single track, and I make some moves. As we roll into the field, I make a few more, and try to get some distance from those around me for the creek crossing. I made most of my moves in the first 2-3 laps, kind of hard to remember at this point. I do know that I moved around Ralph and Robert in the field, and Russel the Mussel at the creek during a bunch up. I had my sights set on a guy rolling a cross bike. He was flossing big time on the roots, and the drainage wash. I was able to pull up to about 10 sec. gap, but could not close the deal. Greg from Segul came around me super fast in the field. That sent me reeling and scrambling for power. Also around that time, Robert came around me, and slowly pulled away. At this point I was deep in the red, and asking buddy if there was only one lap left. In reality there were 4. I put in some hard efforts to bridge up to metz, but every time I would see him, I biffed the creek crossing, or exploded my form. I was able to finished in good shape, 9th overall in the A race. I feel pretty good about the effort, and my discipline. I tried to keep it in check for the first half. I did that pretty well, still need some work on staying smooth.

For me, the main goal for the day was to not get lapped. While this almost happened, I crossed the line before CP was able to pass me on the final lap. It was close though.

The race promoter, Ralph Pfremmer did a bang up job for the race and the series. It was nothing but good people and good times. The 2 man really was awesome to watch. People were turning some hot laps.

Getting stoked for burning. I could feel the effort last night, even after a nap yesterday. Some quality recovery is in order, so I can be fresh for c-bluff, and an epic race.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

that was funny to see you look back and sprint for the line. we don't quit at half time!

Boz said...

Good racing for sure and thanks for the cheering during our races. I'm spent after the two-race day and the shoulder tackle on the tree.